Saturday, June 22, 2013

One last post-last day

I forgot to include the last day of the trip simply because I was so tired from it that I needed it to wait and then I forgot I had to do it. We woke up in the morning and I attempted to enjoy my last amazing Vietnamese coffee and food. I say attempt because I was getting tired of the food but knew I had to stick it out for one more day. I had some pho and beef and a little rice and two cups of what will now be my favorite coffee that I have ever had. After a long breakfast with a bunch of the students reminiscing about the trip, we headed over to a soccer field for a friendly against the UEF club soccer team. I played soccer in high school and I was pretty good but wow did I lose my skill. I could not dribble, shoot, or really do anything. I was a little embarrassed but it was fine. The UEF club was really good and it was awesome to see them pass and shoot with such fluidity. I am not use to playing with foreigners and they play a lot faster. Not to mention, it was the hottest day that we have seen so running around was not that easy. We ended up tying the club but I think they sort of let us tie. It was really fun!  We then headed to the basketball court which has become my sport because I still play competitively at home and they were pretty good! It was really fun to see kids playing basketball, which is predominately American. I can tell they love the game and loved to play against us. Score was not really kept and I actually thought I was going to faint. Everyone got a chance to play and Jake was putting on a show because he is really good. We then had to say our goodbyes to the students. Many of them said such nice things to us and of course we returned the nice gestures. I certainly miss the students a lot and still keep in touch through Facebook. We got to relax and reminisce more about the trip. We ate lunch at the hotel and began to get last minute gifts, pack, and pay our bills. This was a bittersweet moment because I thought to myself I will probably never get back to Vietnam and I have to live up these next few hours. After doing all that, we got ready for the farewell dinner on a boat with our staff, UEF staff, and pitt students. The food was delicious, the ambiance was awesome with live music and dancers, and we were moving on a boat. A perfect way to end the trip and something I will remember forever. After the dinner, we stayed up all night and enjoyed each others company and then headed to the airport. I was honestly so tired so I do not remember much of the airport but what an amazing time I had in Vietnam. I think I learned more through the companies and listening and asking questions than I do in the classroom. A first had experience is always the best and it is when you learn the most. We covered all of Ho Chi Minh city and all the famous sites. We drove to the beach, we went to the Cu Chi Tunnels, we did everything we could to get a feel of the country. I still teach my family some Vietnamese because I rememeber it, mainly because our teacher was wonderful. I teach the culture and tell everyone I can about the trip. I can not wait to advertise it to the incoming freshman because this trip changed my perspective on life and helped me grow as an individual. The lessons I learned will never be forgotten. Thank you Plus3 Vietnam for the best time ever! I will miss you and hope to reunite next semester.

No comments:

Post a Comment