Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Miss home

Today we got to sleep in later than usual. We had to be ready at 9 30 when our usual ready time is between 8 15 and 8 45. I was not aware that breakfast ended at 9 and I got ready later than 9 so that was not good. Liebersohn kept me from getting ready because he is still sick and woke up with a rash that he was worried about. Carly was so generous and gave me two granola bars. Our last company visit was today. We first went to the Saigon Newport Corportion and learned about the porting industry and different pricing options when importing and exporting. The man who briefed us and showed us around was so personable and funny. He was very entertaining and it was easy to stay focused. That man is definitely going to be successful because of his personality and what kind of vibe he brings into a room. We then ate lunch at a restauraunt nearby the port. At every lunch, I barely eat anything except rice with sky sauce because the food is either pork or seafood, two dishes I can't have. The waiter caught on to the fact that I wasn't eating and he kept bringing me rice and peanuts. He also saw that eating with chopsticks is not my expertise and brought me a fork. I didn't ask for any of the things. After lunch we visited a real estate company and toured their newest project. It was an apartment building with all the basic amenities needed to live. There are four giant complexes with a courtyard in the middle with a giant luxurious pool. They called it the garden. Finally, we got back to the hotel and me and Liebersohn took a 5 hour nap, I needed it so badly. I've been so tired. I also was dehydrated today and did not sleep well last night. Jake and I went on a date tonight to a burger restaurant. It was a really delicious burger and the owner was American, the fact that we were able to speak English was gratifying to say the least.  Our cab ride there was 33,000 and back was 50,000, that's how they do it around here. If they see that you're American they drive around aimlessly to get the price higher, another struggle.
As the days wind down, I am definitely ready to leave. My stay has been amazing, I've met so many people, saw very unusual thing, and simply experienced a different way of life, one that I'm not used to. Seeing the opposite side of the world and learning about their culture and customs allows me to appreciate how I live in America. The food and variety here is better than home and I will miss it for sure. I don't know how my life will pan out but I think that seeing Asia will get harder and harder and so the fact that I got to see it makes me so happy and appreciative. Not many people get this chance and I think I took advantage of this. I cruised around and saw all my surroundings, I explored cuisines of the  world, and interacted with the locals as much as possible. Again, my stay was amazing but I am very excited to go home. Good night my readers. More stories tomorrow.

Fun fact: my laundry was over four loads and they did it in one day. Mom can you do that?

No comments:

Post a Comment