Monday, May 13, 2013

Today was our first day in Vietnam. I was quickly reminded my reasoning of choosing Vietnam over the other countries for Plus3. I wanted to explore a country that was going to be significantly different than America and a place where I can explore and enjoy, that started at breakfast. I entered the dinning room smelling and seeing foods that reminded me of a dinner. There were dishes that had meat, dumplings, fried rice, and a delicious Vietnamese dish called pho. It was a great feeling that I can see how our breakfasts are different. I was proud of myself because I am not very adventurous when it comes to trying new food and I tried everything at the buffet. 
After breakfast, we drove to UEF where we met the Vietnamese students. Again, my reason for traveling here was apparent when we drove around the city. I have been to a couple different countries  none compared to what I saw today. The amount of people that drive on the streets at one time is amazing and how traffic is so insane. People were swerving in and out of lanes and cutting others off. It was absolutely amazing. Many people started to not trust the bus driver because how crazy he was driving but I knew he was safe because he always smiled at us and wanted us to be happy. The different street vendors were also really cool. When we finally got to UEF we were greeted by happy and welcoming students. We learned a taste of language which was an experience of its own, a very cool classroom environment. The teacher was so energetic with a smile from one ear to the other. As a college student espeically a freshman my classrooms have been enormous with 500 students so a connection with a teacher has been distant, it was nice to have the opportunity to experience that again. Next we went to the US consulate which was awesome. We had the opportunity to speak to the representatives about the relationship with the US and Vietnam. I had such an amazing time learning about foreign affairs. I'm very excited for tomorrow.  

No comments:

Post a Comment